Thursday, July 16, 2009

Not surprisingly, I'm sobbing through most of it.

But in a good way.

I'm watching the 16 and Pregnant finale and figured I'd give my thoughts as they come.


I got hooked on this show kind of against my will. At first I really had no desire to see it but I think I saw some snippets here and there and before I knew it I was watching every episode. I've found it kinda fascinating.

I think it's interesting that they're only doing one adoption episode out of the bunch (the kids in the other episodes all chose to parent). But what has stood out to me is how most of the boys/fathers have been very immature and not very responsible after (and sometimes before) the baby is born. With the exception of maybe the last week's episode, I haven't been too impressed with any of the boys.

I'm really impressed with these kids. Really impressed. Especially the boy/birthfather, probably because of the stark contrast he is to the boys in the other episodes. I see him standing up to his white trash, in-n-out of prison dad who told him he's not being a man by "giving his baby away", and that makes me want to give him a high five!

The girl's mom makes me equally SICK. She's not at all supportive of the adoption plan. Which is fine, she doesn't have to agree but.... she bought a bassinet[?!] and tried talking her daughter out of the adoption, telling her that she still has time to change her mind. How cruel is that when your daughter is intent on and content with adoption and you buy a pink bassinet and set it up in the corner, to taunt her? UGH! These parents are just disgusting to me. The kids/birthparents impress me so much because considering where they came from, they are so very mature and strong. Wise. Their parents have a lot to learn from them.


I like that they're showing the open relationship they have with the adoptive parents. It really seems like they bonded and developed the genuine friendship that I think is so crucial.

How could you not cry when the birthfather read his letter to his daughter? I can't get over how impressive this kid is.

I was a little sad at first that they said they didn't want to hold the baby after she was born. I'm a big believer that you have to say hello before you can say goodbye. I think it's a huge fallacy that holding the baby makes it harder because it causes you to bond- whether you like it or not, you are already bonded by some degree. But luckily they did end up holding her and I'm sure they will be glad they took that time with her.

I think it's wonderful for this little girl that she has this experience forever captured on tape. She'll never be able to doubt how much her birthparents love her when she sees it.

I don't like that the adoption caseworker was being 'politely pushy' at the hospital when she basically said "okay it's been 5 hours since delivery, can we kick out the family and friends and bring in the adoptive parents?" Yeah I wasn't a fan of that at all. It should be 100% up to the birthparents to decide who's there in the hospital and when.

The necklace gift was really sweet. You just can't deny the bond that these people have with each other. It's wonderful.


So I don't know how much sense that will all make if you didn't see the show, but those are my thoughts. I thought it was a very well done episode and I'm so happy that MTV presented this positive story about adoption.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't watch it but it sounds great! Have you seen Juno? Love that movie --bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. I have to see if I can find it online...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see the show, but I saw a preview for it yesterday. I think that is great they were able to decide to let the daughter be adopted even though the parents weren't supportive. I also love that the boy was incredibly involved and loving towards the girl he got pregnant. What a hard situation, I can't even imagine!

    Ana Lee
    newlyidentified.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been watching one episode at a time online (since I don't have cable) and I can't wait to watch this one. Heck, maybe I won't wait.

    Adoption is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really impressed by the boy also, how many kids would be able to stand up to that family preasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched a couple of episodes and was really looking forward to this one. I missed it though. I'll have to look for it online, I didn't know you could watch these online. The one I watched last had an older guy and he bought the PS3 while she was expecting and she chewed him out, I was pretty impressed that he tried to return it. That was pretty sweet and showed some effort on his part, the problem is, their's was a rosy picture of something that is usually not so successful. I can't wait to see this episode!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I did my makeup, got ready for the day, watched this, and now I need to go do my makeup again! That was amazing. I actually added it to the other blog. There were a few things that really bothered me but all in all I am so glad that they put things in a positive light. I wanted to just give them huge hugs and tell them how amazing they were!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto to Wendy! She called and told me to grab a box of tissue and watch it. My sister and i were both sobbing! I, like you, was so impressed with this couple. I couldn't believe they were only 16 and had so much maturity with this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sobbed through the entire episode. I loved that couple and hope they do end up happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched that episode as well and I honestly had the exact same thoughts that you did. I was so incredibly proud of those two kids. I was especially proud of that young man who was so selfless as he was going through the whole process. What a great couple of kids!

    ReplyDelete