Sunday, October 25, 2009

A kind of monumental announcement.

 "All saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;‘And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;‘And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.’" -Doctrine & Covenants Sec. 89
I sure am banking on that last part about running and not being weary...

Most of you should know I've been training for a half marathon since August.  It's been going really well.  I've been very faithful to my schedule, and all week long look forward to my long runs on Saturday mornings at Granada Park with the rest of my team.  It's kind of crazy how unlike me this has been.

Especially because I've not been running the half marathon schedule, but the full one.  Yes, the big kahuna.  The whole enchilada.  Etc.  For the last few weeks I've been going back and forth- should I or shouldn't I? Is my body ready?  Am I just asking for an injury??  Should I just stick with the half and do the full next year?  Or should I go for it now?  After reading book after book (finding all kinds of contradictory information), researching online, talking it over, thinking it over, and finally getting the advice of our awesome Coach Dave (who is better than some crummy book from the library), I have come to a decision.

This is it. I'm doing it.  26.2.  

I just think it's the right time.  I have the time to devote to the training.  I have the desire.  I'm loving the challenge and the high of achieving new heights in my mileage.  It's so therapeutic (and goodness knows I need an outlet).  The race will be January 17, 2010, and 2010 is the year I turn 30. Why not start the celebration of turning 30 by doing something monumental?!  Something kinda crazy...

(and I have no desire to follow Emily's lead and celebrate the big 30 by jumping out of an airplane)

So hope and wish and pray and believe with me that my mind and body can do this.  I know my mind can, I'm going on pure faith in Coach Dave that my body can too.  And I am so excited!

9 comments:

  1. woot! id prefer jumping out of the airplane but you go girl, run katie run!

    heres to turning 30 in 2010 *clink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie you are AMAZING! If anyone can do this it is you! YAY! I'm so excited for you. What an awesome goal for a new year! You can so do this! I definitely admire the diligence and determination you have put into this so far. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, Katie! GO for it! (And hey...if Maury can do it 3 months after giving birth...well...ok, so maybe not anyone can do it like Maury, but I know you can!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol- I just want to sit at the Marathoners table with Maury and Serge at the family reunions. ;)

    Thanks everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it and you will!! You are amazing!Running a marathon is all about your body surrendering to your will... simple as that. It will all be worth it when they put that medal around your neck... there is no other feeling in the world like it. (and hang on to the medal because you will need that in order to sit at the marathon table with Serge and me).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great news! I totally admire you - you're going to become a marathon junkie (that's a good thing)!

    And just so you know, my word verification was props! HA! I'm totally giving you props.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's amazing! The thought of the Gate River Run here in town makes me want to curl up and die...and it's only a 5K!!!

    ReplyDelete