Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fruit Karma

Ahhh, summer time. One of the best things about summer is the fruit. Watermelon, nectarines, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, and it goes on and on.

But what I find so frustrating is how unpredictable grocery store fruit can be. Especially watermelon: you just never know what is underneath that rind until you cut into it. It could be grainy and bland or red and lusciously sweet. Even nectarines can be sneaky little suckers. The skin might looks okay and it might feel ripe to the touch but I have been fooled many times. Even within the same batch at the store, you might luck out and get one AMAZING nectarine and the next could be hard or dry. Such is life.

This week, I have been unusually blessed with good fruit karma. I got a watermelon at Fry's and it turned out to be so perfect. Dark red all the way through, sweet, and crisp. That's rare for a seedless one. Then I got some white nectarines. Again, total luck. I love a nectarine that dribbles juice down your chin when you bite into it. And then I got some raspberries at Costco that were quite nearly perfect as well. Good raspberries remind me of Grandma Shelley, who used to pick cases and cases of raspberries and make jam when she lived with us in Maryland. (though nothing really compares to the taste of berries picked straight off the plant)

I don't know what I did to deserve such perfectly delicious fruit this week, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment