Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sunday dinners are the best!

Sunday night I invited some friends over for dinner at la casa de Katie. Let me tell you what, I have some really fun friends! How did I get so lucky? I made spaghetti and meatballs and breadsticks courtesy of Our Best Bites, which never lets me down. I did however let myself down because something about the breadsticks just wasn't quite right. But the first time I made them they were completely inedible so this was an improvement. I will be trying again, I can promise you that!
We were very entertained by an old hymn book with some very strange songs in it! Some favorites were "Affection" (a song basically about making out at nighttime) and "I am a Mormon Boy". I wish I'd gotten James' and Paul's rendition of "I am a Mormon Boy" because it was truly epic, but luckily I did capture "The Bees of Deseret": (background buzzing courtesy of the lovely Cheya)




Click on that to enlarge it so you can see the words! This book is priceless. It says it was published in 1909, which leads me to believe it was really fun to live in 1909. It does have some regular hymns in it but I'm thinking (and hoping) this isn't an actual Hymn (big H) book because it's called "Deseret Songs". And if these songs were in the original Hymnal, then Emma Smith was a total whackjob.

Later we played a game where we drew song titles out of a bowl and tried to hum the tune until someone could guess the name of the song. You could resort to a taboo-style of describing the title if you didn't know the tune or if your humming skills were so poor that no one knew what on earth you were humming... I even did a charades-style act out of Thriller because it was just easier to do the zombie dance.

Josh was hilarious to play this game with because he kept getting songs that were total stumpers and he freaked out about it. Plus I think he thought wildly gesturing would somehow help his team guess correctly! :D I only caught the tail end of it the first time he took his turn, but as you can see I captured his other turns as well and it just kept getting funnier...


The song was "If You Feel Inclined to Censure"- that's not really that hard, is it? ;)






Josh, we seriously love you.

3 comments:

  1. HA HA HA!!! Katie, I seriously loved watching those videos. (And I also really love that one of them--in the very first second--looks like James is proposing to Josh.)

    And the breadsticks were fabulous. I just didn't have room for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA HA!! Ok seriously Rick and I couldn't stop laughing at those...and BEAT IT REALLY???? BEAT IT??? LOL! Oh how fun! I'm glad you have such a good group of friends to spend time with there! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you just call Emma Smith a whack job? LOL I can't stop laughing!

    ReplyDelete