Sunday, June 21, 2009

Two new temples and concessions for free speech: "hooray for the First Amendment- now go stand by that trash can"

In lieu of actually going to church today because Roman wasn't feeling well, Wendy, Roman and I ended up going to see the two new temples in the Salt Lake valley: Draper and Orquirrh Mountain. We're going to the open house for the Orquirrh Mountain temple on Tuesday so I'll get to see the inside then.

First we went to the Draper temple, which was dedicated back in March. Gorgeous, as always.
We all wore our pajamas!

On the street right above the temple are some ridiculously ginormous houses (the picture really doesn't do them justice):
Some flowers:
Then across the valley we went to the Oquirrh Mountain temple. The tents are up because of the open house, which wasn't going on today because it's Sunday. But there were some security guys in white shirts there who must have been bored because they were zipping around the parking lot on their golf carts. I thought they were going to tell us we couldn't be there because the parking lot was all blocked off, but they completely ignored us.

This one is a darker color. It's pretty! I love that beam of light shining right on the angel Moroni in this first photo.

Speaking of the angel Moroni, it was struck by lightening not too long ago and you can see the black marks on it.
If you look between the trees you can see the Draper temple, can you see it? It looks far away but it really only took about 15 minutes to get from one to the other. (by freeway of course)
Then you can also see the Jordan River temple down the hill in the other direction. See it?
A nice view of the mountains:

Now the part about free speech....we thought these signs were kind of funny. There's a small lot over on one side of the temple and there were signs that said: "Free speech standing area". Why people would take their time to go protest the building of a temple in Utah I don't quite understand, but hey, who doesn't heart the first Amendment? I love that this sign was right next to a trash can. Good place for the protesters if you ask me!

4 comments:

  1. LOL! Did they really put the "free speech standing area" sign in the trash can? LOL!

    Roman has gotten so big!!!! It looks like you're having a fun trip. I agree with you about the weather too. We're getting a ton of rain up in Boise and I'm ready for the sun to come out and stay out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! My family and I are going through the temple open house on Tuesday as well. Maybe we'll see you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part about free-speech being in the trash can - thus the "funny" reaction... I think I'll add those to my blog.. what application is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first glance it does look like the sign is IN the can... but you can kinda tell it's not.

    BTW... your Photo Skills are looking good on those pics of the temples.
    That's what I like to see!

    ReplyDelete