Monday, June 1, 2009

Rick, sent to us from Heaven

Saturday night. LeeAnn's friend invites us to a "bonfire". Sounds fun, right? Doesn't sound at all scary or life-threatening, does it? Well it was both: scary and life-threatening.

Let me take a time-out to make an observation... I've noticed that as I get older, I get prissier. I once liked camping and such things but not so much anymore. So romping in the desert isn't generally my idea of fun. Unless it's in a prissy SUV that we don't want to get dirty.

Back to Saturday. The location for this bonfire might have been in New Mexico because it felt like we were driving forever. But little did I know we were about to experience a real-life version of the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. Good thing I'm prone to nausea! That just made it all more fun. I sound like I was having a miserable time but that's not really true. It's just kind of funny in retrospect because if I knew what this little outing was going to be like I never would have gone. (the best adventures in life start that way) Let me just skip right to the scary part. We are way the heck out in the desert, seemingly the middle of nowhere. The jeep suddenly started making a horrible crunching sound and we had to stop. Hmmm, something about an axle? Don't ask me. But all I know is the jeep was broken. And we had no tools. And no cell phone reception. Awesome!

As I try to suppress my panic, we get out of the jeep. Good time to build a fire, right? Might as well. We're not going anywhere anytime soon. We (ok, Rob) makes a sad attempt at building a fire.

This is where the gift from Heaven comes in. Another jeep pulls up rapidly behind us. Hooray! And it's Rick. Rick who steps out of the driver's seat with a beer in his hand (I'm not judging! I love this guy!) and proceeds to pull out a huge box of tools. Ok, who just happens to carry that around with them?? (answer: Rick)

How can I explain Rick? This guy is very prepared. Not only does he have all these tools but he has a gun strapped to his side and offers us all a beer. Wow, how nice. Of course none of us drink beer but it was so very nice of him to offer. He never stops talking the entire time he's there. Wherever he was headed, whatever he was up to, he has completely interrupted his plans to help us fix our jeep without batting an eyelid. Oddly he never really acknowledged any of us lovely ladies. Rick is apparently a man's man. That's fine, as long as he helps us not be stranded I'm cool with it.

He even assisted Rob with the pathetic fire and within seconds of attending to it, we have a robust campfire. Rick is truly magical!
While waiting, we entertain ourselves with an ax and a machete. Why not?


There's some manly talk about tools and car parts that none of the rest of us can understand.... some talk about jeep clubs, and what not.

And finally, it's fixed! Rick climbs back into his jeep and drives away as mysteriously as he appeared. Rick was truly a blessing, I only wish I'd had a beer to offer him in return. What a great guy!


The following video is important for only one reason:



It's made me realize I have kind of an obnoxious laugh. Why didn't anyone tell me?

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Great story. Yay for Rick to the rescue! Sounds like it turned into a real adventure. Oh and one more thing...I would have told you that your laugh is obnoxious except for one thing...I love your laugh! LOL! I don't think it's obnoxious at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yay for Rick. What a memorable night. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny and random! But good thing he showed up.

    Now, when are you going to add my blog to your sidebar? Hmm? (I guess I need to update your address on my own blog, too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We floated an idea that he may be one of the three Nephites. He's a little too Caucasian looking though.

    ReplyDelete